9.02.2010

I like Gaudi stuff


One of the trends I'm loving right now is the nude trend. I'm still a huge fan of colors, and I think that's precisely the reason why I like the nude thing a lot. Because by wearing a nude palette, you can accessorize with bold pops of colors.

Clearly, I did not accessorize too much here (hehe), but I'm glad I stayed simple. I don't think I would be able to compete with Gaudi's inspiring, colorful and whimsical designs.


Even from the facade, Casa Battlo offers a preview of Antoni Gaudi's genius. He took his inspiration from nature. He stated that in nature, no two things are alike nor are there rigid straight lines. Thus, one cannot find straight lines in his architectural and design works.


The living room boasts a gorgeous ceiling and colorful stained glass windows, reminiscent of an underwater grotto.


And then you start noticing the details. At this point, the audio guide helpfully informs you that the window handles were all individually molded from Gaudi's fingers, to make sure that it ergonomically fits a natural grip.

It was not just design that was eminent in Gaudi's works, it was also about functionality. He thought extensively about lighting, ventilation, structural support. The first picture in this post was taken in the attic, where he invented the idea of catillary (spelling?) pillars, which supported the ceiling's weight and yet provided a feeling of airy space. Geeenius!


A few twist and turns, and the dining room opens up to an airy terrace designed completely of mosaic tiles. *Happy sigh*

The hubby and I came out of Casa Batllo totally transformed into Gaudi fans. The following day, we decided to visit another one of his buildings, the La Pedrera.


Dress - Pimkie; Owl necklace - Pimkie; Bracelets - H&M

No comments:

Post a Comment