9.28.2010

Flea market finds

Just as I imposed a minimal shopping rule on myself, a couple of friends rang me up last weekend and whispered the two most intoxicating words to a girl: "flea market". (Right up there are "clearance sale" or "chocolate chip".)

Technically, flea market is not really shopping, right? It's more like...exploring for hidden treasures. And...should I happen to pick up anything from it, it'll still be counted as "minimal", right? Right?

So off we went to Westpaket, which is the alternative part of Leipzig city. Rundown buildings, indie theaters, warehouse converted into offices--you name it. Westpaket only holds its flea markets quarterly, so its relative rarity is a must-go event. I don't think it measures up to the flea markets in the US, but it's a place where students sell stuff at low, low prices, so why not check it out?

Well. We did more than "check it out". We dug, we bargained, we conquered :)

Seen here is a little knitted cover-up/bolero that has Japanese tags. I snagged this for 2 euros! Its mustard hue is a welcome pop of color for my rainy day outfit.

black top - Promod; plum turtleneck - Zara; mustard knit - thrifted;
black skinnies - Zara; striped leg warmers - no brand; black boots - German shoe store

I'm still not too sure of outfit number two, which consisted of a 2-euro ochre silky top and a 4-euro mullet wool skirt. I thought it could be office wear for my upcoming internship. But sometimes I'm afraid people might mistaken me interning at a prairie. Not that there's anything wrong interning at a prairie, but you know, I want my outfit to be appropriate for each occasion. I still have until January to think about it, so maybe it might end up back in the flea market pile or I might just go ahead and wear it, who knows? Keep, donate or pitch?

No comments:

Post a Comment