4.26.2011

Trail Blazer

How do thrift stores in the US look like? I always harbor this secret hope that I will stumble onto a designer piece whilst thrifting in Germany, but even stumbling onto a decent piece requires many a mini-prayer to the thrifting gods.

I did eventually find another thrift store in Leipzig and made a quick stop a few weeks before we packed up and left the city. Didn't really discover a lot...except the realization I need a better pair of ballerinas (preferably with arch support) as I walked to that far flung place. Ouch.

Just as I was about to give up though, my eyes alighted upon a lightweight denim blazer. It was a size 44 -- 4 sizes bigger than what I normally wear, but what the heck. My flat-footed feet didn't waddle all the way there for nothing. So I tried it on. The arms and armpit areas looked huge. But like a magician, I rolled up the sleeves...and magic happened. (Hehe, cheesy, I know :)) It actually sort of fit!

I normally wouldn't get something if it deviated too much from my normal size, but the tag said 3 euros (!!) and so that day I found out that I was a sucker for low, low prices.


The denim blazer is not wearable with everything, but it works well with loose, flowy tops and short dresses. I guess the feminine pieces are able to offset the big, boxy fit of the blazer. And I like that being 4 sizes bigger, the blazer hangs longer, too.

And then! I started seeing oversized denims on the runways...with weird arm sleeves.

D&G S/S 2011

Stella McCartney Spring 2011 RTW

Elodie Bouchez at the Chanel couture show, via Fashionologie

What did I say about sleeves and magic, ey? :)


denim blazer - thrifted; tulle top - Promod; pants - H&M
flipflops - the Havaianas are baaaack! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment