2.06.2011

Continuing the Corporate Look


By the third week of my internship, I have begun to settle into a certain style. Nothing too serious and stiff as required from my previous jobs, but also not something that screams "intern". (On my first week, I got a little too kiddy on Friday with a babydoll top, skinny jeans and puff-sleeved cropped blazer...just waaay too much going on.)

The best way to get inspired is to surf the net. Lo and behold:


Apart from the pose, that's where all our similarities end :)

I know Olivia Palermo was not the most lovable character in MTV's (sadly) now-defunct reality TV show The City. But somehow she intrigued me and so I tried to blame her character portrayal through editing? Lol. And, oh man, her outfits! She manages to look chic yet casual, feminine yet tough. She can put together unconventional pieces yet look finished and polished all the time. *Style crush*

What caught my eye with this outfit was Olivia's statement necklace and how well it worked in a more tailored, business get-up. (I'm a sucker for statement necklaces.) From there, I tried pulling pieces from my wardrobe that would most closely imitate hers. ...IF you can call pulling out an old 40-euro blazer and an old discounted slacks and top imitating her thousand-dollar ensemble...but we shall gloss over the details, shall we? :)

Without Olivia's picture, I'd never have put together biege / camel / brown with gray, or a metallic textile with tweed or wool...but with her color palette, it worked! I think the key is to wear a top that ties the different colors (and thus textures) together.


After office, this outfit also translates well into a night out in town. Which was good, because during that particular night, a few of my fellow alumni went to Schlosser Quartier Boheme in Duesseldorf's Ratinger Strasse to down some glasses of Altbier and de-stress.


shiny top - Zara; blazer - Promod (part of a suit set);
slacks - Zara; necklace - H&M; boots - Buffalo

No comments:

Post a Comment